RARA-AVIS: Re: Woman Chaser; was Willeford's The Difference

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Aug 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Vorzimmer" <jvorzimmer@...> wrote:

> > I liked it, and found the movie adaptation of it entertaining as hell
>
> > John Lau
>
> Ditto that. The book was great, I thought, and I'm not a huge Willeford fan
> but the movie was magnificent.

I think that the book is one of Willeford's best, though perhaps
"minor" in a popular ranking. The novel has a lot of punch, a lot of crazy humor, the tension of classic noir, and many unforgettable scenes (the guy's dance with his mother, for example). I wish one could *regularly* get that kind of superior writing in hardboiled and noir literature.

The movie was indeed wonderful. Perhaps the producers would back up a movie version of The Burnt Orange Heresy? That is prime material for a noir movie. It shouldn't be hard to find an actor who can play the protagonist. Master of all trades Johnny Depp?

Best,

MrT