Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford's The Difference

From: Channing ( filmtroll@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 09 Aug 2006

I too just recently read "The Difference" and I agree it's not superior Willeford, but it does feature some of his hallmark touches.

In particular nobody writes casual psychopaths like Willeford. Although the hero is introduced as a young innocent wronged by greedy ranchers, there's something insidious going on. The narrator's casual disregard for human life is startling. He kills people in a way that suggests to him it's just an annoyance. If someone wrongs him, he doesn't make a big deal about killing them, but it's just a fact of nature that they have to die. In fact, the narrator doesn't even need an excuse to kill someone or any motivation. Their death is just part of his self-preservation.

I also recommend "The Woman Chaser" as one of Willeford's best novels, which features a psychotic scumbag as a hero.

And "The Cock Fighter" is the best cockfighting novel ever written.

Channing