RARA-AVIS: Willeford's The Difference

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Aug 2006

I've been reading some Westerns here recently. Just finished this one. It was alright. For the most part it relied on an irony of style similar to Wild Women, essentially a twist on the standard plot line. And without that standard to guage it against, it loses a certain amount of significance.

A note in the front says the novel is a variation on an earlier one called The Hombre from Sonora. I'm not exactly sure how much different it is. Good well-written prose, but it didn't measure up to The Burnt Orange Heresy. But nothing of his that I've read has measured up to that.

miker