RARA-AVIS: Re: Another Chandler Question

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Jul 2006

Miker,

Re your comment below:

"Thank you, Jim. It looks like I'm out of luck for a while. My 1977 Ballantine copy of THE SIMPLE ART OF MURDER starts with the essay. No intro. I'll keep a look out for copies with the intro."

I could be wrong, and paperback gurus like Bill may be able to confirm or deny this, but I believe that Ballantine divided TSAM into three different volumes. TROUBLE IS MY BUSINESS collected the four Marlowe stories, "Finger Man," "Goldfish," "Red Wind," and
"Trouble Is My Business." PICKUP ON NOON STREET collected another four or five stories, including the title entry. THE SIMPLE ART OF MURDER collected the remaining stories plus the TSAM essay. If memory serves, it seems to me that the intro from the hardback edition of TSAM, from which the "darkness more than night" phrase is derived, was included in the Ballantine edition of either TROUBLE IS MY BUSINESS or PICKUP ON NOON STREET.

And, of course, you can probably find a complete hardback edition of TSAM at your public library.

JIM DOHERTY