Re: novelizations (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Magnum, P.U.)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 27 Jul 2006

Jim wrote:

"Collins's ROAD TO PERDITION, which adapts the screenplay which was, in turn, an adaptation of Collins's original comic book script for the graphic novel of the same name; . . ."

And wasn't the graphic novel, in turn, inspired by the Lone Wolf and Cub manga which were also adapted into movies? Then again, I've always thought that was overstated. Sure, they both feature assassins on the road with their sons (although the Cub was a whole lot younger), but they go in pretty different directions from there

"If you mean original novels using characters created for film or TV
(Lawrence Block refers to these as "tie-ins" to distinguish them from novels that are directly adapted from scripts), . . ."

I'm surprised you don't mention Block's "tie-in." Foul Play Press reprinted it under his name as You Could Call It Murder, but wasn't it first published with a different title and as by the TV detective, Robert Markham?

Mark