Re: novelizations (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Magnum, P.U.)

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 27 Jul 2006

> Back when it was on, I read a couple of novelizations of the Robert
> Wagner TV vehicle It Takes A Thief. Could I possibly remember correctly
> that at least one of them was written by Gil Brewer? Damn, wish I had
> held onto them. Or did he write some Man from UNCLE books; I'm pretty
> sure Michael Avallone did.

Yes, Gil Brewer wrote the novels based on It Takes A Thief, either two or three, don't recall for sure how many there were. I read all of them when they were new, but that was before I knew who Gil Brewer was. Avallone wrote the first Man From U.N.C.L.E. novel and both of the Girl From U.N.C.L.E. novels. Harry Whittington wrote the second Man From U.N.C.L.E. paperback and several of the novellas published in the U.N.C.L.E. digest magazine.

> I enjoyed the "original suspense novel" (as it says on the cover, but
> it's actually three short stories with slight transitions added between
> them), 77 Sunset Strip. I haven't read the Johnny Staccato novelization
> I have by Frank Boyd, who someone said is really Frank Kane.
>
> And didn't Stuart Kaminsky do several Rockford novels a few years ago,
> long after the series, but, I think, before the handful of made-for-TV
> movies?

Yep, Boyd was really Kane, and Kaminsky wrote Rockford novels. I've never read any of them.

James Reasoner