Re: novelizations (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Magnum, P.U.)

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 27 Jul 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:30 PM Subject: novelizations (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Magnum, P.U.)

> Kevin wrote:
>
> "But gee, I'd still much prefer MANNIX. Or HARRY O. Or PETER GUNN. All
> tighter and tougher and better written and acted and more consistent
> than MAGNUM.
> "Although I imagine this thread's about to be snipped short -- none of
> these shows were adapted from books."
>
> No, but Peter Gunn, at least, was novelized, by Henry Kane. I've got
> it, but have never read it.

There were several Mannix novels, at least one of which was written by Peter Rabe under a pseudonym, I think. I've read Kane's Peter Gunn novel but don't remember much about it except that I didn't like it very much.

> Kinda speaking of which, are there any worthwhile novelizations?

I recall liking Lou Cameron's novel based on the one-season PI series THE OUTSIDER, which starred Darren McGavin. There were novels based on quite a few Sixties series, such as 77 SUNSET STRIP, SURFSIDE 6, JOHNNY STACCATO, THE LINEUP, THE FELONY SQUAD, etc. I haven't read many of them, though.

James Reasoner