RARA-AVIS: Re: Sleuth Poll

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Jul 2006

Mark,

Re your comments below:

"Stacy Keach? Really? I enjoyed his turn as Hammer, but I always found it very tongue in cheek, almost campy, which doesn't really jibe with 'iconic' or
'definitive' in my mind. Then again, my favorite Hammer is Ralph Meeker in Kiss Me Deadly, which undercuts Hammer in its own way."

Keach ahs fun with the part, but in his earliest turns, the TV-movie MURDER ME, MURDER YOU, and the first season of the TV series, particularly the first episode "More Than Murder," he plays it straight, and the filmmakers don't pretend they're smarter than the material.

Incidentally, there's a DVD recently out that includes both the Edgar-winning MURDER ME MURDER YOU, and the two-hour series opener, "More Than Murder."

"I'd love to see some of the first TV series -- who played him in that, Darren McGavin?"

That's right. McGavin in a half-hour series that was syndicated to local stations in the late '50's.

If we're talking about truly iconic, however, I think the Mick's own portrayal of Mike in the film version of THE GIRL HUNTERS should be mentioned.

JIM DOHERTY

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM