Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Sleuth Poll/"America's"

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 22 Jul 2006

Mark wrote:

"For Marlowe, we felt that the iconic version of him was Bogart's depiction in Howard Hawks's "The Big Sleep." However we felt that since there was already a Bogart entry, we shouldn't include him twice."

Dick Powell would be the definitive Marlowe in my book, uh, movie.

"Mike Hammer is not on the list. Another difficult decision. We felt the Stacy Keach series was the iconic depiction of that sleuth, but opted for other choices."

Stacy Keach? Really? I enjoyed his turn as Hammer, but I always found it very tongue in cheek, almost campy, which doesn't really jibe with
"iconic" or "definitive" in my mind. Then again, my favorite Hammer is Ralph Meeker in Kiss Me Deadly, which undercuts Hammer in its own way. I'd love to see some of the first TV series -- who played him in that, Darren McGavin?

Since we're bringing up deserving but missing sleuths, along with Jake Gittes, mine would be Harry O, my favorite TV PI, just beating out Rockford. Then there's a sentimental, but largely forgotten by most
(not that it was ever very popular, explaining the short time it was on), favorite, Tenspeed and Brownshoe. I wish they'd put that series out on DVD so I can see if it's as good as I remember.

Mark