RARA-AVIS: Re: Thomas Walsh's Sentence of Death

From: bethfoxwell ( emfoxwell@lycos.com)
Date: 19 Jul 2006

Jim Beaver wrote:

> I just read Thomas Walsh's Saturday Evening Post story, "Sentence of
Death,"
> in which a detective comes to believe he may have sent the wrong man to
> Death Row. I did a google search on it and came up with a piece Jim
Doherty
> wrote back in '98 http://www.mysteryreaders.org/Issues/NYC2.html

<snip> Additionally, it was dramatized at least twice, once as an episode of the
> 1950 TV series "The Trap," with George Reeves, Leslie Nielsen, and Kim
> Stanley in the major roles, and then in 1953 for "Studio One," with
Betsy
> Palmer and James Dean in prominent parts. It's a nice little story
and I
> wish I could see one of these dramatizations.

Well, if you were in Bowling Green, Ohio, you could go to the Ray and Pat Browne Library for Popular Culture Studies and look at the Studio One Collection. The collection includes scripts from Studio One, and some of them are accompanied by videotapes of the kinescopes of the original broadcasts.

For more on the library: http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/library/pcl/pcl.html

Elizabeth Foxwell Managing Editor, _CLUES: A Journal of Detection_ http://www.heldref.org/clues.php

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM