RARA-AVIS: Thomas Walsh's Sentence of Death

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 18 Jul 2006

I just read Thomas Walsh's Saturday Evening Post story, "Sentence of Death," in which a detective comes to believe he may have sent the wrong man to Death Row. I did a google search on it and came up with a piece Jim Doherty wrote back in '98 http://www.mysteryreaders.org/Issues/NYC2.html

It's a good piece on the story and its background. I'd just like to add, for Jim's benefit, that the story was also anthologized in Alfred Hitchcock's collection "14 of My Favorites in Suspense," in 1959. Additionally, it was dramatized at least twice, once as an episode of the 1950 TV series "The Trap," with George Reeves, Leslie Nielsen, and Kim Stanley in the major roles, and then in 1953 for "Studio One," with Betsy Palmer and James Dean in prominent parts. It's a nice little story and I wish I could see one of these dramatizations.

Jim Beaver

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Check out the new improvements in Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM