RARA-AVIS: Re: Simple Art of Murder?

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jul 2006

Etienne,

Re your post below:

"There was a second publication of this essay as an article in 'Saturday Review of Literature,' 1950, I think. But I'm not sure this is a fully reliable ref. I'm practically sure that there were other versions of the original essay that were published later, but I cannot find back one of them I had."

Howard Haycraft reprinted it in his collection of critical essays on crime fiction, THE ART OF THE MYSTERY, circa mid-'40's. That may be what you're thinking of.

This seems like an appropriate thread to announce that Barnes & Noble is again offering my course on Chandler's early work, RAYMOND CHANDLER - A MASTER OF AMERICAN NOIR, on their website this September. You can sign up here:

http://educate.barnesandnoble.com/educate/bn/home/catalog/overview.jsp?productId=19352&z=y&nhid=bn

The reading list for each lesson follows:

LESSON ONE:
"Blackmailers Don't Shoot"
"Smart-Aleck Kill"
"Spanish Blood"

LESSON TWO:
"Finger Man"
"Goldfish"
"Red Wind"
"Trouble Is My Business"

LESSONS THREE & FOUR: THE BIG SLEEP

LESSONS FIVE & SIX: FAREWELL, MY LOVELY

LESSON SEVEN: THE HIGH WINDOW

LESSON EIGHT: Review and discussion of Chandler's film work, particularly DOUBLE INDEMNITY and THE BLUE DAHLIA.

B&N suggests that you use the Library of America omnibus edition, STORIES & EARLY NOVELS, but the particular edition doesn't really matter.

Hope to see some of you there.

Serendipitously, it will be offered the same month Miker will be leading discussions on critical or scholarly commentaries about the mystery.

JIM DOHERTY

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Check out the new improvements in Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM