Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Spillane and misogyny

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 12 Jul 2006

I wasn't talking about initial publication either, Jim. I was thinking of books that go out of print and are then reintroduced. That would include twentieth century classics like Umberto Eco's FOUCAULT'S PENDULUM, Max Frisch's HOMO FABER and Hermann Hesse's THE GLASS BEAD GAME, all of which were out of print in the UK during periods when I used to work in a bookstore. So was Eric Ambler's entire work. For a long time.

I'd also suggest that 'the public decides what gets bought' is only true on a technicality. The public cannot buy what is not available for purchase. I know many cases where initial print runs of books have sold out but the publisher hasn't reprinted.

Al