RARA-AVIS: Carter Brown (Lament for a Lousy Lover)

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Jul 2006

I picked up Carter Brown's LAMENT FOR A LOUSY LOVER (good noir title)(NAL, 1960). I've never read anything by this author. Is Carter Brown a pseudonym? I spot a Boucher blurb on it.

On something else, I notice the listed price on this paperback is 65 cents, published in 1960. Didn't the first paperbacks appearing after WW II cost 25 cents? I wonder when the price escalated by 10 cents (say by the mid-1950s).

How did the book costs escalate with the passing years. For instance, I'm reading a Helen Reilly book that cost 75 cents, published in 1971 (IIRC, minimum wage was $1.60 in 1971). So, a wage earner worked for less than a half-hour to purchase a paperback to read.

Ed

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM