Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Spillane and misogyny

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 11 Jul 2006

I read all of Spillane's work, all of Hammett, Chandler, and Macdonald a long time ago. When I reread them now, I find that I enjoy Spillane at least as much, if not more so, than Chandler and Macdonald. (The same can't be said of Hammett; I still enjoy his work more than Spillane's.) This doesn't mean I think Spillane is a better writer than Chandler or Macdonald, but on a purely subjective level, he has withstood the test of *my* time, because I'm still willing to devote it to reading him.

I also believe that on an objective level, Spillane's continued readership and critical interest, even if some of that interest is negative, means that his work has stood the test of time.

James Reasoner

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> See what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM