Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Spillane and misogyny

From: William Harker ( wharker@verizon.net)
Date: 09 Jul 2006

A large university has many different components, not merely discipline-wise (meaning academic fields and not the treatment of students, although this certainly differs as well) and administratively, but in terms of approaches within departments, general political leanings, administration versus faculty versus students, and all the other issues that evolve in a diverse community.

However, as one with both personal and professional knowledge of segments of the Cal "culture" of the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, I can say with certainty that there were significant people within the Political Science and Asian Studies areas that would be shocked to know they are linked with pro-Marxist thoughts, namely well-known conservative academics such as Robert Scalapino, Chalmers Johnson and Karl Jackson. Too bad some people seek to paint things they, supposedly, know with too broad a brush.

  At 10:55 PM 7/9/2006 +0000, jimdohertyjr wrote:
>Mark,
>
>Re your question below:
>
> > Intellectualism = Commie sympathizer? What are you, stuck in
>the '50s?
> > Got a poster of Joe McCarthy on your wall?
>
>I told you I went to Cal. Maybe that skews my view of the Cultural
>Elite a bit, but at Cal intelelctualism and pro-Marixism seemed to go
>hand in hand.
>
>JIM DOHERTY
>

>RARA-AVIS home page: http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/
>
>Yahoo! Groups Links

Marlowe is a man "in a lonely street, in lonely rooms, puzzled but never quite defeated."
                                                                 Raymond Chandler, 1959

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM