Re: RARA-AVIS: Charles Williams' The Diamond Binkini

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 09 Jul 2006

Ed,

Williams did indeed the dialogue for : LES FɌINS, film noir by Ren頊 Cl魥nt. The film is far from funny, but there are some moments of black humor and cynicism that are translated also into the dialogue of the film (film based on a Day Keene novel). Besides the two "Sagamore" novels and THE WRONG VENUS (to a lesser level), the rest of Williams' works is pretty noir and h-b, never humor orientated. On the other hand, except for being a caricature (close to satire) of the country world as depicted by Erskine Caldwell, I think THE DIAMOND BIKINI owes more to humorists for his inspiration than to the naturalist writers. In the past, on this list, Mark Twain was pointed to as inspiration for the "Sagamores", and I agree with that kind of analysis, especially remembering that the whole story is told by a 9 years old kid.

E.Borgers POLAR NOIR http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir

Ed Lynskey :

___________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Mail r驮vente le mail ! D飯uvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et son interface r鶯lutionnaire. http://fr.mail.yahoo.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Check out the new improvements in Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM