Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Women who are men

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 05 Jul 2006

Channing wrote:

"Sure it may reflect some of the 1950's paranoia towards women, but read from the modern viewpoint it's insulting."

As is the misogyny of Hammer blowing away real women at the end of the other books (at least the few I've read). And even with the real female villains, he remains pure by not sleeping with only the evil woman, which he rationalizes until the exposure of evil (which is puritanically tied to the exposure of flesh) as respecting the one he's really serious about, in classic madonna/whore dualism.

"However, to further give Spillane some more credit as a writer, not only was he great at writing hard-boiled action, but he was skillful in creating page-turning stories and was the master of ending a book on a stunner of a sentence to finish off the book with maximum impact."

I think it was Cawelti who said the first line sells each Spillane novel while the last line sells the next. I agree that Spillane was a master of the last line. I just have trouble with most of what comes before.

I agree with Bill that it's probably largely due to age and generation. However, I wonder why I never could suspend disbelief or put myself in the past mindset with Spillane, but can with so many other vintage writers (even if I'm often bemused at the love at first sight in the purportedly hardboiled, manly Gold Medal novels of the '50s).

Mark