RARA-AVIS: Re: Who don't you like?

From: Channing ( filmtroll@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 03 Jul 2006

I think my comment on Mickey Spillane was taken out of context. Maybe it was my misreading of the original question.

I was actually giving the thumbs up to Spillane's early Mike Hammers while critizing his awful spy novels, and by inference everything he wrote past the original 6 Mike Hammers.

It's not really clear if Spillane was intending for Mike Hammer books to be taken completely seriously and certainly Spillane doesn't take himself seriously.

It's hard to imagine Spillane is being completely earnest when in one Mike Hammer (I can't remember which one, the titles all tend to blend together in my mind) Mike spends the entire book having the hots for the femme fatale... but something prevents him from kissing her. And then the big reveal is-- duh-duh-duh, she's a dude. Come on, Mike is such a red-blooded macho man, but he can't tell if the "hot dame" is a man or woman UP CLOSE!?! It's an astonishingly stupid twist.

I don't know in what context the Mike Hammers were read at the time, but in the post-modern age, I take the Spillane books as kind of the literary equivalent of the Arnold Schwarzenegger/Sylvester Stallone big dumb action movies. Each of them understands the genre requirements (big guns, hot dames, bottles of hooch) for Spillane and
(big guns, big muscles and bigger explosions for Arnie and Sly's movies).

As a detective Hammer is a total failure. He never solves the case until literally ALL of the suspects are dead. But as an action hero the books are enthusiastic and entertaining. Spillane is one of the best at describing brutal/comic book style action.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM