Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Who don't you like?

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 02 Jul 2006

TL wrote:

"I barely count PLAYBACK as a Chandler novel. It was originally a screenplay and it reads as if he merely fleshed out the script to satisfy a contract or pick up some cash."

I've got the Mysterious Press reprint of Chandler's original screenplay, but I've never read it to compare with the novel. Of course, it's been so long since I've read the novel, I'd have to read both.

"On the other hand, I think I am in the minority when I say I have a great fondness for THE HIGH WINDOW. I know it sometimes reads as self-parody, but there is something about that book that really appeals to me. I particularly love the Chess sequences."

Better than the chess sequences in the original Thomas Crown Affair.

Mark