Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Who don't you like?

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 02 Jul 2006

-----Original Message-----

I barely count PLAYBACK as a Chandler novel. It was originally a screenplay and it reads as if he merely fleshed out the script to satisfy a contract or pick up some cash. It seems clear that he was no longer firing on all cylinders when he wrote this book. His wife had died, he had attempted to commit suicide, and he appeared to be sliding deeper and deeper into bitterness and depression. I think he shot his wad with THE LONG GOODBYE (a true masterpiece of the form). He should have stopped there.

On the other hand, I think I am in the minority when I say I have a great fondness for THE HIGH WINDOW. I know it sometimes reads as self-parody, but there is something about that book that really appeals to me. I particularly love the Chess sequences.

TL

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM