Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Who don't you like?

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 02 Jul 2006

Brian wrote:

"I think I only referenced "Right As Rain." To my recollection, I have only read that one and (on the advice of a friend who thought I might like a different Pelecanos after I told him that I didn't like "Right As Rain") "King Suckerman." Didn't like it, either. After two strikes, you're pretty much out for me, reader-wise."

I must misremember. As for two, that'd be it for me, too, sometimes just one. It was two iwth Grafton, and like you, I only read the second after numerous people told me how much they enjoyed her. As for female PI writers, I far preferred Paretsky, along with Kijewski and Barnes.

"Let me finish by saying that I am only talking about whether or not I liked these writers, not whether or not they're good people, fine human beings, or successful writers. Obviously, taste is relative, and I like stuff that other people with impeccable taste would dislike."

Out of curiosity, who falls in this category? That could be the flip side of naming dislikes -- who are your guilty pleasure writers?

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM