RARA-AVIS: Several topics

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 02 Jul 2006

Has anyone read the other novels by Chaze? The list can be found in here:

http://www.shs.starkville.k12.ms.us/mswm/MSWritersAndMusicians/writers/ElliottChaze/ElliottChaze.html

***

Charles has explained that HC won't reprint Chaze's book, because it's in public domain and they don't do books in public domain.
(Hope I got it right. :)

***

Someone (Brian?) was reading A COFFIN FOR DIMITRIOS by Eric Ambler. You should try his A CAUSE FOR ALARM. It's equally great, if not even better.

***

Whom I don't like:

Robert Parker: his novels are fast to read, but nothing else, and contain lots of irritating elements

John D. MacDonald: overwriter and pompous, preachy; some of his old pulp stuff is okay, but I couldn't stand him rewriting them for the collections, since the plots and characters are strictly out of the fourties and early fifties

John Wessel (I don't remember anyone mentioning him here, which could mean that no one else likes him here)

Jonathan Lethem: his GUN WITH OCCASIONAL MUSIC is a bore (I admit that I haven't tried his other novels)

Manuel Vasquez Montalban: what's with the food? get on with the stuff!

Plus I don't think Walter Mosley makes up very intriguing plots. And I don't really know if Joolz Denby is hardboiled or noir, but I couldn't finish her BILLIE MORGAN. I also had hard time to finish Nelson Algren's THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM - overwritten and a bit overlong, don't you think? Same goes for John Fante's ASK THE DUST.

Juri http://pulpetti.blogspot.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM