RARA-AVIS: Re: Ruby Tuesday

From: Karen G. Anderson ( Karenand@mac.com)
Date: 01 Jul 2006

"Ruby Tuesday" was on Flowers, the Stone's softest and most lyrical LP, and their nod to the laid-back, psychedelia that was putting people like Donovan on the charts. It's as much mod as rocker. (You can't get much more mod than the baroque "Lady Jane.") But "Ruby Tuesday" was a simple song about lost love (apparently a girl Keith Richard's had been involved with). No hidden drug meaning, though someone probably went on to name a type of acid after the song.

 From http://www.recorderhomepage.net/torture5.html

> Ruby Tuesday was recorded in Olympic Studios in November, 1966 and
> was released in January, 1967 on the B-side of Let's Spend The
> Night Together. It spent twelve weeks in both the U.K. and U.S.
> charts, reaching the number one spot in the U.S. In her
> autobiography, Marianne Faithfull refers to Ruby Tuesday as Jones'
> swan song and recalls the recording session when it was conceived:
> "Brian . . . played a folkish, nursery rhyme melody on the
> recorder. It was nothing more than a wispy tune, but it caught
> Keith's attention . . . he had heard a riff and went at it like a
> dog with a bone . . . it was really Brian and Keith's song . . .
> I'd noticed that this song had taken on an almost desperate
> significance for Brian. This collaboration between Keith and him
> was to be the last, and perhaps he could sense that. He knew it was
> one of the best things he'd ever done . . ." (Faithful & Dalton,
> 1995).

Karen