Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Who don't you like?

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 01 Jul 2006

I think it's more obvious with his short stories, but I don't think all that highly of Farewell, My Lovely. I don't think it's as strong a novel as Lady in the Lake, for instance.

Jeff

> Jeff Vorzimmer wrote about Mike Hammer books:
>
> "I only felt that about I, the Jury, like Chandler's novels, they got
progressively better."

> Gotta disagree with you here, Jeff.
>
> In my opinion, "Farewell My Lovely," which preceded "The High Window"/"The
Brasher Doubloon," kicks ass all over it. Also, I can't see how anyone who has read the two closely would conclude that "Playback" (1958), although a fine enough book, was anywhere near in the league of "The Long Goodbye."

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> See what's inside the new Yahoo! Groups email. http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM