RARA-AVIS: Re: What about John D. MacDonald?

From: dermdocsx2 ( dermdocsx2@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Jun 2006

I have been on the rara-avis list for the last several months and have enjoyed the posts. I have not felt compelled to post until now.

Charles, I have been a big fan of the entire Hard Case line. Kudos to you and your team for a great selection as well as the classy packaging and respect for the source material. Also, the respect you have shown to your audience (or as Spillane would say, "customers") is exemplary and greatly appreciated.

Having said that, I have to say that I agree with you about many of JDM's novels. I have greatly enjoyed many standalones such as A Flash of Green and the great Brass Cupcake, but many have left me feeling patronized and unsatisfied. JDM was a great professional writer but as one other contributor noted, he moralized too much. I didn't notice it so much when I read the Travis McGee's in college, but as the series wore on and as I randomly pick them up on occasion now, I find that the smug tone sometimes overwhelms the story.

I felt compelled to respond to Charles because I feel it is important to honor JDM for his great work, but also to be honest about our feelings for some of his work that did not do much for us. Thanks for listening.

Pat Lee

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "hardcasecrime" <editor@...> wrote:

> As for John D., I have to admit to holding the somewhat heretical
> view that he wasn't, as the kids would say these days, all that.
> keep reading his books hoping to catch a whiff of whatever it is
that
> makes other readers I respect go gaga, but it hasn't happened
yet.
> He was a smooth, solid, professional writer, heaven knows, but for
> whatever idiosyncratic personal reason, I haven't yet found a book
of
> his that I really loved. Many have bored me and I've had to force
> myself to finish; some have held my interest but not wowed me. So
> while I'd love to add a McDonald title to our line for iconic
reasons
> if nothing else, it's going to have to wait till I come across one
> that happens to push my buttons just right.
>
> Apologies to all the passionate McDonald fans I've just
horrified. I

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM