RARA-AVIS: Rabe; Suggestions to Charles

From: juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi
Date: 27 Apr 2006

Jeff:

> I'm generally not a
> Peter Rabe fan,

How's that? Have you tried THE ANATOMY OF A KILLER? I couldn't think of a better book.

Charles:

has anyone already recommended you to reprint something of Floyd Mahannah? His THE GOLDEN GOOSE is one of the sadder and more original P.I. novels of the fifties. And it hasn't been reprinted, as far as I know. Something by W.T. Ballard would also be nice. WALK IN FEAR, an early GM, could fit the bill. Walt Sheldon should also be reprinted. He has a nice late GM paperback called GOLD BAIT, from early seventies, that's the only paperback crime novel I know that's narrated via letters, diary notes, memos etc. Yet it moves along very smoothly.

Couple more: John Jakes writing as William Ard: GIVE ME THIS WOMAN, very sleazy and nasty P.I. novel. Tedd Thomey: KILLER IN WHITE, almost like Jim Thompson, but in a hospital milieu. Some people (= Lee Server) regard Thomey's AND DREAM OF EVIL very highly, but I haven't read that one. Richard Deming's HIT AND RUN.

Juri