Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Legal, but is it ethical?

From: jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com
Date: 24 Apr 2006

> There is a niche market for Black Wings. But is it a big enough niche
> for Hard Case? It wasn't a big enough niche for Random House and I
> assume they were given the book for free. In the past other publisher
> have kick around the idea of reprinting some of these old originals,
> Carroll and Graf reprinted Harry Whittington's You'll Die Next! I have
> always theorized that this was a failed test balloon, since no other
> titles followed.

Sort of like Vintage only printing Web of Murder. I think they probably would have done more had that sold well. That's too bad, because I think Harry Whittington was a good writer and prolific. Like with Fredric Brown, who was almost as prolific, I've never read a bad Harry Whittington novel and I've read a lot of them.

Black Wings is an interesting case for a lot of reasons. There are some dealers who claim to have Black Lizard copies for which they are asking hundreds of dollars. Even if you can find the original, it usually goes for over a hundred dollars. That means demand is pushing those prices up.

Jeff