RARA-AVIS: Re: James E. Martin and Robert Martin

From: jimdohertyjr ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Feb 2006

Gary & Jim,

Re Gary's recollections:

> I believe that the last four are the only Gil Disbro novels. The
95 File is
> a police procedure written long before the Disbro series appeared,
but I
> suppose it is possible that Disbro is the cop in that novel. I do
not have
> a copy of it to verify who is the hero.

THE 95 FILE is NOT about Disbro. It's about a pair of homicide cops in an unnamed Ohio metropolis on the trail of a gang of cop-killers.

Though it's post-Wambaugh, and Martin was a serving cop at the time it was published, it owes more to Jack Webb and DRAGNET than to THE NEW CENTURIONS. It even ends with a short epilog telling what happened to all the offenders at their trials.

Damned good novel, even without Disbro. I'm kind of sorry he abandoned the procedural and took up PI's.

JIM DOHERTY