RARA-AVIS: Re: The popularity of the Private Investigator

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 18 Feb 2006

> But now there are a number of alternative distribution options.

I'm not sure that's really true. For books to sell in any volume they need (vast majority of time) to go through traditional outlets. Books that rely on mostly Internet sales are not going to sell much if any. For example, a lot more copies of Fast Lane are going to sell in Italy where its being more traditionally published and distributed than in the US.

> And I'm not aware of their putting out a whole hell of a lot of PI
books either.
> There's yours, Fast Lane, Fade to Blonde and Little Lost Girl from
Hard Case.

Well, Fast Lane's not a PI book - it's fits really under psychotic noir. The only PI work I ever wrote (until recently) was a short story done more as a joke.

>Others? Are there other new PI writers? I'd really like to know
> about any I'm missing.

About other traditional PI writers - of course, Ken Bruen's marvelous Jack Taylor series. And off the top of my head there's Michael Kortya's Lincoln Perry, Harry Hunsicker's Lee Hnery Oswald, Michael A. Black's Ron Shade series, Jim Winter's Keplar, Harry Shannon's Mick Callahan (although not strictly a PI), and I'm sure there are dozens of others..