Re: RARA-AVIS: D.C. Noir

From: Mary Reagan ( mreagan@gmail.com)
Date: 30 Jan 2006

On 1/30/06, Richard Moore < moorich2@aol.com> wrote:
> A day or two ago I picked up a copy of the just-published D.C. NOIR
> (Akashic Books)edited by George Pelecanos. It looks to be a very good
> anthology with stories by Pelecanos, Jim Fusilli, Laura Lippman,
> Robert Andrews, James Grady, and several others new to me. The "new
> to me" category includes several that I am eager to try including
> stories by Norman Kelley and Ruben Castaneda. Castaneda I know from
> his journalism and Kelley has authored several noir novels including
> two with great titles BLACK HEAT and THE BIG MANGO.
>
> This is the latest in a series of anthologies with earlier entries for
> Brooklyn, Dublin, Chicago, and San Francisco. Are these earlier
> entries worth searching out?
>
> Richard Moore

A friend of mine just reviewed DC Noir and really liked it.

Each of the anthologies has a different feel to it. Brooklyn started things out. There's actually a 1 and 2 for Brooklyn, with 2 having classic stories rather than stories written specifically for the series. I think Dublin and Baltimore are going to be great. And I'm really looking forward to SJ Rozan's Harlem-based story in Manhattan. I haven't heard muh about the other stories in Manhattan, but there are sure to be some other winners as well.

I've read some of the stories in San Francisco, but haven't had a chance to read anything from the Chicago book. San Francisco has a real mix of stories. There are a lot of stories that are dark but not mystery noir. But there's a great story by Eddie Muller and another by David Corbett. Oh and there's one by Dominic Stansberry that I haven't read yet but is supposed to be great.

Mary

--
http://nycphoto.interactivenyc.com