RARA-AVIS: Re: D.C. Noir

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 30 Jan 2006

The listings of the other volumes are confusing. In the front of the book there are five volumes under the heading "Also in the Akashic Noir Series:" DUBLIN NOIR, BROOKLYN NOIR edited by Tim McLoughlin, BROOKLYN NOIR 2 edited by Tim McLoughlin, CHICAGO NOIR edited by Neal Pollack, and SAN FRANCISCO NOIR, edited by Peter Maravelis.

Under those there is a "Forthcoming" heading over these titles: MANHATTAN NOIR edited by Lawrence Block, BALTIMORE NOIR edited by Laura Lippman, TWIN CITIES NOIR edited by Julie Schaper & Steven Horwitz, LOS ANGELES NOIR edited by Denise Hamilton, LONDON NOIR edited by Cathi Unsworth, MIAMI NOIR edited by Les Standiford, HAVANA NOIR edited by Achy Obejas, LONE STAR NOIR edited by Edward Nawotka, and WALL STREET NOIR edited by Peter Spiegelman.

In the back of the book are two pages hawking six books under the heading "Also available from the Akashic Books Noir Series." There follows blurbs, author lists and thumbnail covers for both Brooklyn volumes, Chicago, San Francisco, Dublin and Baltimore (which was listed as forthcoming in the front of the book. Under the six there is a box saying "These books are available at local bookstores. They can also be purchased with a credit card online through www.akashicbooks.com."

I went to the website and clicking through to DUBLIN NOIR there is a notation "available early 2006."

Thanks for tipping me to the fact it won't be available for several months as I would likely have ordered it. Now I'll wait until its out or nearly out before sending in my money. The Dublin book is subtitled "The Celtic Tiger vs. The Ugly American."

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "crimeflix" <jmks100@a...> wrote:

> Dublin Noir hasn't been published yet (though I have a copy)....I
> think it's out in May....It's edited by Ken Bruen and the stories
are
> very strong...Bleak House Books is doing an antho called "Hard
Boiled