Re: RARA-AVIS: Gateway Publishers

From: William Denton ( wtd@pobox.com)
Date: 22 Jan 2006

On 20 January 2006, Jeff Vorzimmer wrote:

> Interesting observations about the design of the Black Lizard books--and
> right on the money. There was an amazing transformation in the design of
> the covers when Vintage bought them out and Keith Sheridan started
> designing the covers of those same titles.

The Vintage Black Lizard covers were (are?) great. Everything about the books was good, especially the cover photos and designs. I started reading Black Lizard before Vintage got it, when it was a Mysterious Press imprint (if that's correct), and still have a number of Jim Thompsons from that era. At the time, I thought they were what the old paperbacks looked like. Now I appreciate the real stuff, such as the cover of Vin Packer's Gold Medal 3 DAY TERROR that I'm reading now, which has a woman lying on the ground and a man running away, his body tightly framed by two large tree trunks. I really like the new Hard Case Crime covers, too.

Bill

--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : www.miskatonic.org : www.frbr.org