Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Chill by Ross Macdonald

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 21 Jan 2006

miker wrote:

"Like you, I didn't see THE LONG GOODBYE author character as Hammett. I can't remember his name, but if I recall correctly, he was a big man with a big beard. Hemingway would have been closer as far as a physical description, but I didn't see him as Hemingway, either."

Maybe Roger Wade was based on an author named Sterling Hayden. He certainly looked the part in the movie. Just ignore the fact that Hayden's book, The Wanderer, came out 10 years after The Long Goodbye. Has anyone read Hayden's memoir? Sounds pretty out there.

Or maybe it's the Roger Wade who wrote the screenplay of 2000's Chain of Command. He's got a beard, right, Terrill?

Mark