RARA-AVIS: Re: Lost authors

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Jan 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Duane Spurlock <duane1spur@y...> wrote:
 Richard Moore <moorich2@a...> wrote:

> <<
> The name jogged an association with the old Mystery Monthly
magazine and going to my stacks I find that he had a story in the November 1976 issue. Little noted at the time (or since), Mystery Monthly was a good little magazine. November 1976 was the sixth issue of the magazine to be published. In addition to the Hunsburger story, it featured stories by George C. Chesbro, Steven Utley (a regular then in SF mags), Michael Avallone (with an Ed Noon story), Edward Y. Breese (a Johnny Hawk story), Dennis Etchison, J.N. Williamson and Dennis Hamilton, and Jon A. Jackson. Now that is a heck of a lineup when you add in interesting book, television and movie reviews and an interview with Derek Marlowe. That was well worth the cover price of $1.00.

> I've never heard of this magazine. Thanks for the info!
> - Duane Spurlock

Sadly, it didn't last too much longer, as Richard implies. I've seen copies only occasionally in the pulp. We've seen a number of not-bad to pretty damned good titles fold in the last three decades...

TM (still missing the BLACK MASK revival and MIKE SHAYNE MM)