RARA-AVIS: Re: Lost authors

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 12 Jan 2006

I remember H. Edward Hunsburger from meeting him in New York at the Mystery Writer of America's annual awards dinner and associated cocktail parties. We were at about the same point at the time--we both sold Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine a couple of months apart-- and I remember him as a good guy and a writer of some ability. As I recall (and my aging brain is grinding gears to recall it), he didn't go by "Edward" or "Harry" (behind the H) but I think he went by Ted. We may have exchanged a letter or two but I haven't rooted around for them yet.

The last time I remember running across him in print was in the anthology NEW FRONTIERS VOLUME ONE edited by Martin H. Greenberg and Bill Pronzini (TOR) 1990 where he had an original story "The Pistoleer". That's five years past your last known address so Martin might have something more recent.

The name jogged an association with the old Mystery Monthly magazine and going to my stacks I find that he had a story in the November 1976 issue. Little noted at the time (or since), Mystery Monthly was a good little magazine. November 1976 was the sixth issue of the magazine to be published. In addition to the Hunsburger story, it featured stories by George C. Chesbro, Steven Utley (a regular then in SF mags), Michael Avallone (with an Ed Noon story), Edward Y. Breese (a Johnny Hawk story), Dennis Etchison, J.N. Williamson and Dennis Hamilton, and Jon A. Jackson. Now that is a heck of a lineup when you add in interesting book, television and movie reviews and an interview with Derek Marlowe. That was well worth the cover price of $1.00.

I was surprised by the Jon A. Jackson story as I had no memory of it and I've admired Jackson for many years. If you take nothing else away from this post, take this: READ JON JACKSON.

Looking at the issues of Mystery Monthly again, the magazine has been dead and buried for more than a quarter of a century and I regret not being able to send somebody a fan letter complimenting them on their magazine.

Richard Moore