Re: RARA-AVIS:Vachss (was: Drivers)

From: R. & J. Clinton ( clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 10 Jan 2006

From: "Steve Novak" < Cinefrog@comcast.net>
> I guess I have to express my surprise and sorrow at the fact that
*generally* speaking (...and that is always dangerous...) Vachss's criticism both in the US press and on various US discussion groups (including and especially Rara) has been quite negative
------------------- I enjoyed the first four Burke novels, then my interest progressively waned until after the first half-dozen, I ceased to find his characters engaging nor appealing and stopped reading the series. Several comments have been made about the familiar redundancies in his writing, and perhaps that's the trait that doomed them for me: redundancies from book to book in character, motivation, plotting, etc.

Perhaps that also why his standalones come off as so conversely entertaining: SHELLA, THE GETAWAY MAN, his two short-story collections...I'd recommend these without hesitation because there's an energy, a power, a freshness that, for me, is lacking in the later Burke novels. Having said that, I tried reading his latest novel -- also a standalone -- entitled TWO TRAINS RUNNING, and didn't get very far before I gave up. Not quite sure why that one didn't work and haven't had enough time to consider it, so won't comment, other than to say redundancies may not be the only problem(s) creeping into his writing of late.

On a side note, his signing decorum/attitude could also use some work..but that's another story.

Ron C.