RARA-AVIS: Drivers

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 09 Jan 2006

Last night I finished James Sallis's Drive. (Anyone know if Sallis intends to write more books with this character? Some comments at the end certainly make it seem like a possibility.) That's two great books last year featuring professional getaway drivers, this and Wheelman.

I started trying to think of other books about drivers. I can think of caper novels with drivers in minor parts, but I'm having touble thinking of others with drivers as the main character. Can anyone else think of others?

We've mentioned that hardboiled and noir often deal with professionalism. Following the recent posts on hardboiled journalists, we could come up with a catalog of books about those different professions.

Mark

ps -- is there a difference between a bootlegger's turn and a moonshiner's turn? Sallis uses both in a sentence describing one of Driver's movie stunts. A bootlegger's turn is a moving 180, also known as a Bat-turn, right? So what's a moonshiner's turn?