Re: RARA-AVIS: Passenger on the U

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 06 Jan 2006

>Came across PBs of Passenger on the U by Claude Aveline and Fire Will
>Freeze by Margaret Millar this afternoon. I remembered discussions
>about French crime novelists, but just searched the archives and
>Aveline wasn't mentioned. I've never read any Millar and didn't know
>if this would be a good place to start. Any comments?
>.../...
>Kent Morgan

"Passenger of the U" (L'abonn頤e la ligne U - 1947) by Claude Aveline is not at all HB or noir. It's from a French author of the detection vein. However his novels were well written (much better than the average of the genre in his time- in fact he was already a reputed author of
"literary" works when he published his first mystery in 1932: "La double mort de Fr餩ric Belot" - The double death of Fr.B- which is probably his best mystery novel) and he always used very intriguing stories and convolutions. Was very popular in France; most of his books are still in print there.
"Passenger..." is the first novel of a cycle of 5 novels, all with inspector Belot. In fact the 4 firsts are "prequels" to the 1932's "La double mort..." In 1932, Aveline also shocked the literary French circles by writing a preface claiming that "there is no distinction to be made between 'real literature' and popular lit with its genres as mysteries and adventures stories (the "cheap" novels)"; Aveline claimed also: there is no
"inferior" lit genre. All this may seem trivial, but, believe me, for 1932 and France of that time, it was more than daring...

E.Borgers POLAR NOIR http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir