Re: RARA-AVIS: Quick reviews: two recent Hard Cases

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 05 Jan 2006

Doug wrote about Girl with a Long Green Heart (and implies about The Gutter and the Grave):

"Book suffers a bit from the fact that the big reveal is obvious as all get-out: this is most notable around the 3/4 mark, where if you've read any of these things you'll likely be screaming at the protagonist to get a clue."

I, too, figured out the mysteries of both of these books when I read them a couple years ago (not that my enjoyment suffered, since the characterization, in particular, more than compensated). However, I always wonder about endings of older books that are now obvious "if you've read any of these things." Were they so obvious when these books were first published? Or were they early in the histories of what would become cliches? For instance, it's now a given that a corpse whose face is destroyed will turn out to be someone other than the person everyone assumes it to be. But was it so obvious when Laura, for instance, was published, and made into a movie?

Mark

ps -- also agree with Doug about the great Hard Case Crime covers.