RARA-AVIS: THE GUTTER AND THE GRAVE...

From: R. & J. Clinton ( clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 05 Jan 2006

From: "Doug Bassett" < dj_bassett@yahoo.com>
> THE GUTTER AND THE GRAVE -- Ed McBain
> I was surprised that I really liked this, too. I'm
> fine with McBain, but generally have not liked his
> early 87th Precinct books, which have always struck me
> as clunky beyond belief. I had this notion that his
> early books weren't interesting.
<snip>
> Highly recommended, one of the best Hard Case
> reprints.

Completely agree; along with Keene's, one of the best. thus far I haven't read much of McBain as I don't really care for the 87th Precinct novels, but found myself completely swept up in this standalone. Yes, as mentioned in Doug's review, the lacework of the plot is rather slim and quickly obvious, but the characterizations of the protagonist and the supporting characters are outstanding, and made for an enthralling read.

On the basis of this, I'll be keeping a sharp eye out for any other older, standalone McBains I might stumble upon.

Ron Clinton