RARA-AVIS: Re: Johnny Liddell

From: Brian Evankovich ( briane1911a1@hotmail.com)
Date: 02 Jan 2006

The Liddell books were stories I thought would be great, even if only in the read-'em-and-forget-'em variety, but I was wrong. Of the three or four I have, I was only able to finish ONE, and did that by mostly skimming through the end. They just didn't have any punch. It's like once you've read the top players, the B-grade gang doesn't have a chance.

However, Frank Kane did a very good book called SYNDICATE GIRL--although the
"girl" of the title had nothing to do with the story, was in fact less than a bit player. However, the story was a Red Harvest-type featuring a DA trying to clean up the hometown and I enjoyed it a lot, wished the Liddell books had been as good. --Brian