Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Trevanian dead

From: Ed Poe ( eddyapoe@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Dec 2005

THE LOO SANCTION was every bit as good as THE EIGER SANCTION, lots of tongue in cheek humour. (What was the name of the female villian in the LOO SANCTION? She sat around completely naked, drinking Everclear, and engaging in witty repartee with Hemlock for a lot of the book.)

  I don't remember much about SHIMBUMI. The last book of his that I read was the western that came out a couple or three years ago, INCIDENT AT TWENTY MILE CREEK. I only made it halfway through that one.

  My favorite Trevanian book was THE SUMMER OF KATYA. It's been so long that I barely remember the story, something about a young doctor falling in love with a patient at a mental institution in the Basque region between France and Spain at the turn of the 19th century. I do remember being entranced by the patient, Katya, and the setting, which the author did a magnificent job of creating.

  Doug Bassett < dj_bassett@yahoo.com> wrote:
  I've read THE EIGER SANCTION, which is an oddball combination of a semi-goof on Bond combined with some really great mountaineering action. Works pretty well despite the mishmash, though.

I've never liked SHIBUMI, which over-emphasizes the parodic elements a bit too much, I think. Some nice caving scenes, though.

I haven't read anything by him, though I've been intermittantly curious about THE LOO SANCTION and especially THE MAIN. I wonder how hardboiled THE MAIN might be. Also didn't he write a Western?

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Know an art & music fan? Make a donation in their honor this holiday season! http://us.click.yahoo.com/.6dcNC/.VHMAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM