Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir novel endings the movies won't touch

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 01 Dec 2005

Dave asked:

"Who was supposed to be the original killer - Willaim Bendix?"

Yup. According to my memory of the intro to the publication of the script, Buzz killed her when he snapped due to some sort of post-traumatic stress disorder. The Production Code (or maybe the studio, it's been a long time since I read it) vetoed that. However, by that point, most of the film had been shot, since they were filming it as quickly as Chandler could write it, since they had to finish it before Alan Ladd's leave was over. So Chandler had to come up with an alternate ending built on the same story. So we got Buzz's trickshooting scene to prove that he couldn't have done it.

As I said, I read this story a long time ago. Jim is probably more familiar with the specifics and can correct any errors I've made.

The Production Code necessitated changes in a lot of movies during its reign. In fact, they sometimes micro-managed to such a degree that Joe Breen should have been credited as co-writer in many cases.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM