Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir novel endings the movies won't touch

From: Dave Zeltserman ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 01 Dec 2005

Could not disagree more about The Getaway - IMHO the ending is absolutely brilliant - one of Thompson's best, and he had some great ones: Savage Night, Hell of a Woman, Pop. 1280, After Dark, My Sweet to mention a few.

Doc and Carol spend the book trying to work through their suspicions and resentment towards each other - Carol sleeping with someone to get Doc his parole, but the problem is Doc's not sure she's not working in league with this guy, and Carol not sure Doc can get past his distrust. So here you have them finally realizing that they do love each other but it makes no difference - their final destination is a criminal resort that amounts to hell. In order to survive they have to betray each other, and ultimately kill one another. Next to Double Indemnity and Something Happened, this may be one of my favorite endings.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM