RARA-AVIS: Noir novel endings the movies won't touch

From: Jay Gertzman ( jgertzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 01 Dec 2005

I saw the two films made of Thompson's THE GETAWAY recently and could not help noticing that neither would touch the wonderful ending of the novel, when Doc and Carol , after getting out of the Manure pile, got transported to the Mexican stronghold from which no one could escape, except by the natural process of , shall we say to avoid a *spoiler,* making the eventual process "through the guts of a beggar." It reminded me of the refusal of Hollywood to film Cain's ending to DOUBLE INDEMNITY, which also shows the ultimate consequence of predatory behavior (Phyllis the bride of death, etc). The end of Bogart/Bacall's THE BIG SLEEP is similar, where organized crime boss (i.e., CEO) Eddie Mars is killed, instead of, as Chandler would much more honestly have it, being humbly bargained with by Marlowe ("I'll talk with Eddie"). Does anyone have other examples of Hollywood "squeamishness" (which is probably not the right word).

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM