RARA-AVIS: Noir and Tragedy

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Sep 2005

I lean back on my old definition of Noir=Screwed, but carrying it out further it is like tagedy.

In tragedy the characters are noble but have a fatal flaw. In noir, the characters are ordinarly people who want something so badly that they end up screwing themselves. It is that fatal flaw of greed or lust or some other negative quality which usually causes their downfall.

Jack Bludis

http://www.jackbludis.com Shamus nominee for "Shadow of the Dahlia" Amazon.com and BN.com