RARA-AVIS: Re: Joe Lansdale's The Big Blow

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 26 Sep 2005

I completely second the recommendation of Joe's THE BIG BLOW. I read the book this summer after seeing Joe at the Con Misterio and rank it with Joe's very best. It is both a great read and a fine novel.

It was already well along the path in Hollywood that sometimes results in a movie and the increased interest in (and fear of) hurricanes won't hurt its chances. It sets up as a great movie with many juicy roles including the fighter Jack Johnson, a native of Galveston who later became the first black heavyweight champion.

It was only today that I realized that Rita came so close to Joe while still packing hurricane-force winds. Glad to hear that whatever the physical damage to his home, he and his family are safe.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, vhend1234@a... wrote:
> I just got an e-mail from Joe, who lives in Nacogdoches, TX. I
asked how he
> came out in the hurricane and he and his family are fine, but the
house was
> totally wrecked by trees that fell on it. So terrible. Probably
almost all their
> possessions lost, from the sounds of his brief message. A good time
to fill
> out our Lansdale collections! The insurance will be slow and
generally falls
> short, as I know from living in FL. If you haven't got THE BIG
BLOW, it's one of