Re: RARA-AVIS: Re Lankford's comment & New McCarthy

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 25 Jul 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Robison" < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 7:15 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re Lankford's comment & New McCarthy

> Mark wrote:
>
> Now that's an intriguing subgenre. What other books
> would you add to the list of thrillers/crime novels by
> literary types?
>
> *************
> Faulkner and Hemingway to name a couple.

Several short stories for both of them:

Hemingway:

"The Gambler, the Nun, and the Radio" (there IS a crime in it), and "The Killers," just off the top of my head.

Faulkner:

A collection of stories including "Smoke" and "Knight's Gambit" collected under the title of the latter. Take place in fictional Yoknapatawpha County, Mississippi, and involve the same central character, a crime-solving small-town lawyer.

Good stuff from both of these guys.

Also, there is a potential crime in one of the finest novels I've ever read: CARTER BEATS THE DEVIL, by Glen David Gold. It's even got a Javert-like Secret Service agent dogging the heels of the eponymous hero (who is based on a real person, a San Francisco area stage magician quite popular during the first three decades of the 20th century). I highly recommend it.

Speaking of Javert, there's LES MISERABLES, which revolves around the idea of crime and its effects on society, and vice versa.

There's a murder in Dostoevsky's CRIME AND PUNISHMENT, too.

And what about Johnathan Lethem' MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN?

Again, all just off the top of my head.

All the Best-

Brian Thornton