RARA-AVIS: Re: ConMisterio

From: Richard Moore ( moorich2@aol.com)
Date: 25 Jul 2005

I heartily second Bill's comments about ConMisterio. It was a relatively small gathering but that often makes for a great con. I particularly enjoyed meeting Jon Jackson and hearing him discuss his career. I'm now reading Jackson's GO BY GO (1998)and am impressed again with this fine writer.

Joe Landsdale was also at ConMisterio and I picked up several of his books I'd missed before. One was THE BIG BLOW (2000) an expansion of a shorter version that appeared in a 1997 anthology REVELATIONS. As the great hurricane of 1900 forms and approaches Galveston, Texas, future heavyweight champion Jack Johnson prepares for his biggest challenge as a boxer. Johnson, a native of Galveston, won the city championship and the outraged white "sportsmen" have imported a top fighter from Chicago to defeat, and if possible, kill Johnson. The storm, one of the worst natural disasters of the 20th Century, is hitting the island as the bell rings for round one.

This short novel is one of the best things by Lansdale I've read and I recommend it highly.

Richard Moore
--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Crider" <bcrider@h...> wrote:
> I'm back from ConMisterio in Austin, where a fine time was had by
all. A
> number of hardboiled and/or noir writers were there, but of course I
didn't
> manage to get photos of many of them. The few pics I did snap are on
my
> photoblog at www.billcridersphotos.com if you want to have a look at
Joe